Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Summer Groove

I've slipped back into the summer groove like I never left it. Summer camp always seems to happen with very little effort, although I know that's not even close to true. Last week, I led a group of second graders along the dusty summer trails. This week, they're sixth graders. Sixth graders are better able to follow directions.

We've seen a few rattlesnakes, and yesterday there was a Great Blue Heron hanging out at the pond. This week, it's about 15 to 20 degrees warmer than last week. I'd rather it be cooler.

Here are a few photos.

A white wisp above the skyline.


A mandala made from forest materials donated by toyon, madrone, bay laurel, and douglas fir trees.


A rattlesnake resting in its summer spot.


One day last week, I inadvertently brought a tick home. It was still trying to figure out where to eat, acting like an indecisive person faced with a plentitude of possibilities, when I discovered it walking along my shirtsleeve. I fed it to the chickens. Or, more correctly, chicken. Mrs. Charles was fastest.



No comments: