Sunday, June 12, 2016

Let the Madness Begin!

Summer camp set-up week has come and gone. I spent the majority of that time working on helping get the new Trailblazers staff up to speed, since I'm the only returning staff member. Trailblazers doesn't actually start for another month or so, but Moonlight, who is acting as director this year, wanted to wrap her head around things early. More power to her.

I ducked being director myself (not that I was specifically asked) because that's not where my skills are strongest. I've come to the conclusion that I'm not very organized, and tend to leave things until the last minute. Perhaps there is just a smidgeon (note: Blogger's spell-checker doesn't recognize the word, "smidgeon" - it must be underutilized these days, so it's well past time to bring it back into common usage) of responsibility avoidance involved as well. Either way, I'll continue to be on the front lines, avoiding paperwork and phone calls as much as possible.

Day camp swings into motion tomorrow, and it has a lot of moving parts. At the height of summer, we have 5 onsite programs running at once, as well as an offsite backpacking program. It's usually a time during which I seldom visit these pages (or non-pages, since wood pulp and bookbinding have no place here) because I'm too busy being hot and tired.

Today, there is a Children's Discovery Museum alumni reunion. I've been out of touch with nearly all of my museum coworkers since I quit back in 2004, so this should be interesting. I asked Willow if she wanted to come (after all, she wouldn't even exist without the museum, since that's where I met her mom), but she declined, saying that she was going to be hanging out with friends. She's such a teenager these days.

No comments: