Sunday, October 04, 2015

Weekend Whips By

The weekend is already almost over. I watched Willow play three soccer games and one softball game. Her soccer team won one, tied one, and lost one, and I'm not sure what the final score at the softball game was. It's always a pleasure to watch her do things she likes and does well. I've said it before: I'm not a spectator sports fan, and I'm not sure what the big deal is with watching highly paid athletes play, but I love watching my daughter play because it is not only fun for her, but good for her in multiple ways.

I sometimes get overly scornful toward sports fans, but I guess if one applies entertainment preferences to Gardner's Theory of Multiple Intelligences, it makes sense that the more physically and socially (and less emotionally, intellectually, artistically...) oriented people in the population would gravitate toward events where physical and social skills are needed. Of course, if you look at professional athletes, the news is rife with examples of poor social graces amongst the sporting elite (ie: a lot of them are spoiled babies). This is yet another reason I'd much rather watch my daughter play. These games are just training for war anyway, at least war as it used to be fought, where things like physical skill and teamwork made a bigger difference.

Eva has started her annual gig working for Deadtime Dreams. Here is how she went to work yesterday:


On a completely different note, here's a nice picture of Venus, taken at camp toward the end of the week.

No comments: