Tuesday, April 07, 2015

A Coyote and A School Trip

Other than one very persistent boy who came and visited me every time he woke up, I had a quiet night. It started dumping rain around 3:00 AM, and by morning there were puddles everywhere. The rain made no difference to the boy. He slogged through the cold and wet so he could inform me of his misery. At least he only had one complete meltdown, and that was early in the evening. All of this was because, of course, he was missing home. Nothing I said seemed to have much of an impact, which is somewhat unusual. I half expect to go to work tonight and find him gone. Maybe not though. Maybe he got over it. Most kids do.

After sunrise, as the kids were filing out of their cabins, I noticed that one cabin was unaccounted for. I found them gathered at the edge of the lower field, shouting about a wounded coyote. It was our friend Tripod, the three-legged coyote who has been hanging around camp for months. This was the first time I'd seen him (or her?) though. Not having my camera in my hands at the time, I took a couple of phone photos which, as predicted, turned out to be nearly useless. I'm including one here anyway.


Oh, and I forgot to mention in the last post that Eva is on the East Coast with some of her classmates, taking part in a school trip to see the historical sights (or sites - both words work here, don't they?). Here's a picture of her playing in the snow while wearing a tank top. Apparently she is impervious to cold.

No comments: