Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Wandering around camp at night, I was surprised by a loud animal cry from somewhere in the trees on the other side of the pool. It sounded sort of like something being stepped on, kind of plaintive and breathless, as if it were trying to say, "won't you please remove your foot from my sternum?". I crept closer, trying to imagine what could be making it. Then, the sound was answered by a more recognizable one - the call of a male Great Horned Owl. The two voices seemed to be in conversation, although in my mind I interpreted the Great Horned Owl to be trying to get the other voice to shut up.

A quick search on this site proved me wrong. The first voice was a female Great Horned Owl. I had no idea they sounded like that.

Listen here.

2 comments:

Prettylittlecrow said...

Great link! I should have been born a Great Horned Owl... that male's call would do the trick for me!

I wonder if the author you refer to is the same Jon Young who is involved with (founder perhaps) of the Wilderness Awareness School up this way. No matter, it is a great idea. I have always had a similar (tree)habit with the children at school as we follow the rhythms of the natural year and I see that I do this myself in several ways. Will need to be more purposeful about that.

Thanks, that was informational!
~L

dr silence said...

You're welcome, Lorelei.

I'm glad that you enjoyed the owl link. It's definitely a nice resource to have.

It's most likely the same Jon Young. He has founded a number of various wilderness-themed schools. Glad (and not surprised at all) to hear that you've been doing something along these lines with the children at school, and for yourself as well. I definitely agree that we need to be more purposeful about it.

smiles,
John