Friday, October 23, 2009




This is the kind of sight that inspires me. The sky is a vast, ever changing canvas of light and moisture, and the interplay of the two can be awe inspiring. On days of bland blueness I find myself... maybe "depressed" is too strong a word, but at the very least, unmotivated. There's no expectant energy there when the sky is blue. On the other hand, when dark clouds come roiling in over the hills, it seems that anything is possible. It doesn't have to be clouds either. I can be a bit of perfectly placed fog, or a high, lonely contrail, or just a wisp - a promising little cowlick of vapor waiting for its big dark friends to join in the fun there at the invisible air-mass boundary.

Let it rain! Or at least let it look like it's going to rain!

3 comments:

Prettylittlecrow said...

Wow, how do I not know you?

I read this, then left because it gave me the willies. Of course, I came back. Maybe this is a good example of the blog reader's motivation. I can relate to what you have written. It is lovely.

Also, perhaps you weren't meant to be a Californian!

~Lorelei

dr silence said...

Thanks, Lorelei,

Sorry, didn't mean to give you the willies. The coincidence in our posts wasn't the only weird parallel that happened with this one. Another friend (a local Flickr contact who I just met in person for the first time this week) almost took a picture of the same contrail featured in this post.

As for my geographical placement, we definitely have more subtle seasonal changes down here. Sometimes too subtle. I wonder if our fascination with what the sky is doing has its roots in some archetypal memory of a time when dark clouds meant "hurry up with the harvest because the cold hand of winter is about to slap your crops to the ground!". Or maybe that's just me thinking too much again. Ha ha.

Prettylittlecrow said...

No worries, of course my willies are all my own! Ha.

You, Son, are a serious hunter-gatherer type! I love it!

~L