Saturday, September 12, 2009

A year ago today I was moving into my current apartment. Nearly all of my possessions were in boxes, except of course for those things that I just lazily threw on top of the pile.

Today, I'm sitting here with Willow. She's just had her first soccer game of the season. Many of my possessions are in bags out on the patio. No, I'm not moving or anything like that. I've had to quarantine a number of items in order to make sure the head lice that one of the kids brought home from school don't make a comeback.

The day after tomorrow, I start the new school year as night host up at camp. The lumbering, bureaucratic beast that is the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing has finally managed to officially issue me my credential. I guess that means they found the fingerprints that they claimed not to have. For this school year, I plan to use my credential to get some work as a substitute teacher (while still keeping an eye open for something more long-term). Maybe I'll stumble across a permanent position this way.

Either way, I'll be doing something I like doing.

4 comments:

Maggie said...

Good blog.
I went through the same things years ago.
Horrible. Not cute.

Prettylittlecrow said...

John, I'm happy for you and your credential! Now just don't let it lapse or the same beast will make you very miserable, confused and poor.

I hope that the lice are away, now. With all the hair between the two of you, that is a nightmare. Only you would think of setting wee spiders loose on your head! I loved that idea.

Enjoy the nights on the hill,

~Lorelei

dr silence said...

Thingy - thanks! You're right, dealing with lice is quite horrible. Not the way I want to spend my days.

Lorelei - I really hope they're all gone now. I keep checking though.

I'll definitely make sure not to let my credential lapse. That said, some of my teachers in high school seemed miserable, confused and poor with their credentials. Ha!

I'm glad that you like my spider idea. I figured you would.

John

Prettylittlecrow said...

I'll say, Ha! So true about those cranky teachers. My teachers were nearly always very old. As in, many of them retired and died (under natural circumstances) within a short time.

You have what my family calls 'good turn of phrase', John. There's often an apt quip to come from you! Fun.

Lorelei