Wednesday, September 16, 2009


I found a Wolf Spider last night, and as usual, started taking pictures of it. After a moment, I noticed that there was a rolled up Pillbug underneath one of its legs, making the spider look like it was on its way to soccer practice or something. It reminded me of the Far Side cartoon where all of the attendees show up for a lecture with ducks under their arms, except, of course, the one guy who forgets his. I imagine a room full of Wolf Spiders, all with Pillbugs, except for one hapless arachnid who shows up sans crustacean.

It's funny the way my mind works sometimes.

On another subject entirely, Willow became alarmed while we were talking about eyes. I was explaining how pupils work, about how they expand to let in more light, when she nervously asked, "what happens if my pupils get too big and my eyes explode?"

I sometimes wish that the world was still that mysterious for me.

3 comments:

Prettylittlecrow said...

Oh the horror! Hee, I like the way your mind works and it looks like someone little takes after you.

Isn't mystery mostly imagination? So it is not so different, really, child or adult. Where the kids do not know better, we suspend the knowing better for the fun of it!

You are having a comeback, no? It is fun to see your momentum.

So sorry to read about your pillow. Damn predatory washing machines!

~L

dr silence said...

Yeah, it's funny - It seems like my motivation to write changes with the seasons. I spent most of the summer consuming other people's writing, but now I feel recharged and ready to get back to contributing to the huge jumble of words and ideas floating around out there in the virtual ether. I guess I was taking an unofficial break from the blog.

Let's hear it for the suspension of knowing better! Except, of course, when it comes to what one can safely put into the washing machine.

Anonymous said...

hey, man...

This is Stephen at nigrot@hotmail.com.

Lots of craziness since your last message. Got sick last week, went with my wife to New Orleans for our first non-baby-oriented trip in forever, and then my hotmail account apparently got hacked and I can no longer get in it anymore. I think I have most of what you wanted already burned, but I still need your address since nobody seems to write anything down with a pen anymore. If you could just forward that last email to my work address, that would be awesome. It's: stephen.emerel@hatchmott.com

Sorry for the long wait, as soon as I get your address I'll have everything ready to send. Take it easy. Hah, can't believe I missed the Raw Power shirt, awesome. More Italian greatness.