Wednesday, June 24, 2009

It is wonderful to get back out on the trails with kids. I've been hiking with the older kids (mostly 12 year olds) this week, and they're so full of energy and talent, whether it manifests itself in scaling the most difficult route up the climbing wall blindfolded, creating t-shirts, telling stories, or in any number of other ways.

I've already rescued one Gopher snake from the asphalt - it stretched its three-foot length across the driveway to catch some early sun the other morning - and seen a beetle I'd never seen before (a Banded Alder Borer). I'm taking Willow and the three older kids with me every morning too, and they're all contributing to the week in their own unique ways. The girls mostly get by on their cuteness alone, while the boys have been showing their thoughtful and helpful sides. So far, so good.

I celebrated Solstice/Father's Day by taking Willow over to Vasona Park where, as luck would have it, the great charity duck race was happening. We got to watch 15,000 rubber ducks plunge into the creek and "race" to the finish line. Amazing. Afterwards, I went to a BBQ and, later on, a gig, getting home at around 2am - a fitting way to celebrate the longest day of the year. I like the idea of celebrating the length of the day, and the semi-annual u-turn it represents, by participating in a variety of pleasurable endeavors. The musical portion of the evening will be reported on my other blog when I feel like it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Greetings,

My name is Stephen Emerel from the lonely redneck town of West Monroe, La. I actually came upon your blog while on another desparate search for any information about buying, downloading, trading loved ones, etc. for Paul Chain's 7-cd "Relative tapes." Incredibly, it came up on ebay.it the other day and I got up 3:45 AM to bid, only to lose as the winning bid was $475! I paid $215 recently for mint copies of 'king of the dream' and 'in the darkness' but this was just above and beyond what I could hope to afford. Anyway, I'm taking a very long shot in asking if there was any way possible that you could trade or sell copies of these cd's if they're still in your possession. I have all of his 4 "official bootleg" series of recordings and other live Paul Chain and old Death SS recordings for trade. If money is a factor, I'm definitely willing to make this worth your while...$500 was just impossible for me. I apologize if this request over your blog is in bad taste, but you can probably sense my desparation; Paul Chain's music has indeed taken control at this point. My email is nigrot@hotmail.com I appreciate any consideration in this matter.