Monday, June 01, 2009

As of late, I've not been planning enough activities for the weekends that Willow is with me, so this weekend I kicked myself into gear and we went to the zoo so Willow could see the lions (and everything else, but lions in particular). The lions were very obliging, and the lioness actually got up and walked over to inspect us. Next door, a crackling sound alerted me to the new electric fence encircling the tiger enclosure. I'm sure they put that sucker in pretty quickly after one of the tigers took objection to being teased and did something about it. That was a year and a half ago already. Have we really not been to the zoo since then?

They have a Capybara now. I've been fascinated by these humongous rodents since reading the Bill Peet book, Capyboppy, as a kid. Too bad there wasn't a way to get a picture of it without intervening bars.

Back at home, we had a slumber party with my friend Courtney from Portland and her son. Her son was really cool, and told Willow a series of bedtime stories, including a Coyote story. It was great to see a 14 year old and a 6 year old get along so well. It was great to be able to sit back and catch up with Courtney too - the second time in a week that we've seen each other, since I saw her in Portland last weekend. The time before that was 12 years ago. Lots of catching up to do. In the morning, they hit the road to continue their trip south, and Willow and I went to see a play called Tomato Plant Girl, which featured one of my co-workers. Willow laughed out loud many times. The main message of the play, about how mistreated people often mistreat others, was at least partially lost on her, but there was enough inspired silliness that it didn't matter.

Now, it's almost time to start my work week, and there's only one more week to go after this one. Then we transition over into summer camp.

Currently listening to: Mimir "s/t"

3 comments:

Prettylittlecrow said...

Lovely. I am especially drawn to ‘take myself to new places’ just after the “take Willow...’ and ‘sit very still in a tree for an extended period of time’.

Though I do wonder about the desert, too. Which desert? Is this a reptile thing? Or a geography thing? Or a bake-out-the-bad, solitary meditation, homemade drumming, while chanting kind of thing? Hee.

I had to go find the movie trailer. Timely. I wonder how the ideas play out through the actual film.

I notice that your list is lean on ‘computer’. There may be something to that, as much as I hate to say so.

Yoga is good. Flexibility and strength can never be a bad thing! It is all about the right instructor. I need someone who uses very few words. On that note....

Magic!
~Lorelei

dr silence said...

I think I wrote a story while sitting in a tree once, but I may be misremembering. I spent most of my childhood in trees, and it's definitely a good way to become invisible for awhile. Nobody ever looks up. Very peaceful up in the branches.

As for the desert, I guess I'd have to say all of the above. I've read a lot about the desert (mostly Edward Abbey, I guess), but haven't spent a whole lot of time there. There's something compelling about that kind of environment.

I think Mr. Nobody is about the difference between living and "living" - equating not taking chances with death. Maybe, anyway.

"Computer" isn't on the list because I already spend too much time in front of one. I have an addictive personality, and sometimes find it hard to do things in moderation (it's a good thing I don't like drinking or recreational drugs - my addictions are confined to caffeine, music, and the computer). I tried to only list things that I would feel good about after doing. After sitting in front of the computer for awhile, I usually just feel like I could have been doing something better with my time. Present activity excepted, of course. I love writing, and I love commenting back and forth with you, and to a certain extent I love some of the social interaction on Facebook - it's a good way to keep in touch with a wide range of friends, and it's interesting to see friends from different eras of my life interacting with each other via the comment threads.

cheers,
John

Prettylittlecrow said...

I did anticipate that reason for the lacking computer-time. I wouldn’t include it either, but I admit using my computer more now than ever before. Luckily, after a few days without work, I tend to not think of it.

I have a far-away sibling with a new baby blog and your site brings the computer to mind, but otherwise, no. And I do not venture too far into the internet unless it has to do with music. THAT is where I was won over! Come to think of it, it may have been your doing. It started with Last FM which I read about somewhere...for some reason I think it was your site.

Your list is full of life and regret sucks, so I think you are right to step aside, if you can. Books, music and (oh yes, of course...people) are much better company. I find you insightful and intriguing and I think these beautiful things should be offered up. Every person I know needs a little a more insight and interest in their lives!

Regarding the trees, I'm going to post a picture of myself as a teenager just for you! You’ll know it when you see it. I spent a lot of summer time in the place of the photo and I still visit there every year. As a child, my favorite trees were the wide-limbed ones with a view of the lake. The ones where crows could be heard. A little moss pillow is nice too.

I love that I commented on the completely wrong post. Sometimes I am sweetly pitiful!

Yes, Canada John is a good citizen. I have not known him for too many months, but he seems to know when I need the quiet support he lends. I am in an awkward place in terms of meeting someone new and he's a roll-with-it-kind of guy. Sometimes the here and now is good enough, if you know what I mean.

And finally thank you for your ‘healing thoughts’ I’ll take that and spread it around up here, True, the littlest things are often what matter most. I appreciate the diversion and your gentle encouragement.

now, coffee.
x ~Lorelei