Tuesday, May 05, 2009



My friend Devon celebrated his 40th birthday by playing a gig with his band at Gilman St. in Berkeley. I considered getting a babysitter for Willow before heading up to see Devon, but ended up deciding to take her along. After all, she knows Devon and going to the show meant kicking around Berkeley for awhile. It also meant that she got to meet my old friend Wayne (who took the photo above, as well as many others which he nicely shared with me). We made the obligatory record store stop (the evidence of which is on the bench beside me), had pizza (Willow ate a slice bigger than her head), went to the East Bay Vivarium (a reptile store I used to buy pets from, and which Willow was reluctant to leave), and finally wandered out to the Berkeley Marina. Out at the end of the pier, Willow was excited to see a fisherman pull a Stingray and a Sand Shark out of the water. She even asked if I would take her fishing sometime. I thought about it for a moment. Being a vegetarian, I'm reluctant to engage in activities that result in the deaths of animals, but then again, fishing is a lot more direct, and somehow more honest, than buying pre-killed, prepackaged, faceless meat from a grocery store. Maybe taking her fishing and going through the process of killing, gutting, cleaning, cooking, and eating a fish would be educational. Maybe I'd even eat some myself if we went through the process together (the only meat I've eaten in the last 20 years was fresh fish, cooked by a good friend - and that was only once, nearly a decade ago now). Later, I mentioned this to a friend who surfs in Santa Cruz, and he mentioned seeing people fishing there all the time and thinking what a great hobby it was - you got to do something you enjoyed, while at the same time putting food on the table. Food for thought, anyway (pun intended, as usual).

At the club, Willow was excited to get her very own club card (a punk membership card!), and it was cool to watch her signing her name on the back. She was also excited to see Devon and give him a present (I'd burned a cd for him, and Willow drew a cover for it). Willow was much less excited when the first band started. Despite earplugs, she shrank into herself in reaction to the volume.

We went down the street and had donuts instead. I had coffee with mine. Sometimes coffee and donuts just hits the spot.

Afterward, we met up with Greg at our usual coffee shop. Wayne and Greg hadn't seen each other in nearly 15 years, so it was fun to meet up and hang out.

One of these days I'll see Devon's band. They've toured Africa, the Middle East, Australasia, and elsewhere, but I've still not managed to catch them here at home. Oh well. Of course, I kind of figured that Willow would have the reaction she did, and we had fun anyway, so I'll just chalk this up to a partially successful experiment.

4 comments:

Prettylittlecrow said...

Yay, another reptile enthusiast!

You two kill me with the father/daughter picture...especially with the hands resting as they are. The sweetness is winning over the sass!

I have always said that Tiger looks like her dad in a wig. For you two, it is the goat and the glasses.

I came here from my comment. Thank you. It stabbed me with the sadness of all my moments (and my children's) quickly passing and going 'unremarked'. Oh the tragedy!

I've recovered somewhat by reminding myself that I take endless pictures and that they (so far) never fail to transport me full-on into a moment. But still, damn fleeting life!

Anyway, I am so pleased to know you, too!

Take good care,
Lorelei

dr silence said...

Thanks Lorelei,

That's definitely one of the reasons why I blog and take pictures, and I know what you mean about being transported full-on into a moment. I can completely forget about a moment, and when prompted by a post or a photograph remember it down to the finest detail (or so it seems, anyway).

I was remembering Willow as a toddler today, and although I miss that time, I think I'm more excited to see her grow up. I always want to know what lies around the next corner.

Still, it's nice to have all the writing and photographs to revisit when I get nostalgic for yesteryear.

smiles,
John

Prettylittlecrow said...

You know John, I'd really like to take on your happy anticipation. I'm sure that it'd be the more respectful approach to parenting, and I do always admire your take on parenting.

As for me, I just want to unzip my chest and tuck my children (as babies) safely there for all time. Gross, I know. Like some kind of freakish mother marsupial. Or I could eat them, I guess.

Hey, I'm loving all the introductory clauses (and parentheses) in your writing! Things I'm often teased for. It's making me smile.

Be well!
~Lorelei

dr silence said...

Thanks, Lorelei!

In a way, our children are always inside us, aren't they?. They change us forever with their presence. I know I didn't really know what it meant to be vulnerable until Willow was born. Still, I do know what you mean when you say you want to keep them safely inside you as babies for all time. It's just such a wonderful process seeing them experience all the "firsts" as they grow. Of course, the firsts just keep coming. Perhaps they sometimes get a little less profound, but still...

I'm glad that you're enjoying the introductory clauses and parentheses too. There's really no rhyme or reason to the way I construct sentences - it's all intuitive (and I'm sure would sometimes give English teachers headaches). My favorite line from the Andy Goldsworthy documentary, Rivers and Tides", is when he says, "I work intuitively". I can relate!

all the best,
John