Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I just got back from the park with the girls. They brought along a couple of old Mickey and Minnie Mouse stuffed animals (I wish there was no such thing as "popular culture", but I am just one voice against many on that one, I fear), and spent most of their time on the playground wildly hurling them into the air and over the playground equipment. I approve.

Suddenly, Sophie stopped and exclaimed, "A Robin!" Sure enough, almost invisible in the heart of a nearby tree sat a mother Robin. "It's got a worm in it's mouth," Sophie pointed out. As we watched, the excited beaks of a cluster of baby Robins burst upward out of a perfectly camouflaged nest. The girls were entranced.

The spell was momentarily broken when another kid obliviously wandered too close, scaring the mother into flight. Afterward, taking care not to get too close, I put the girls on my shoulders so they could better see the nest. Nearby, the watchful mother hopped back and forth along the fence. I pointed her out to the girls, making sure that they were aware of the bond there.

I love those little moments.

2 comments:

Prettylittlecrow said...

As another mama bird, I really love this story and the words 'the watchful mother hopped back and forth'. I think I have done that myself a mighty many times!

So, Someplace to be Flying it is. It is already on its way to me, in fact. Thank you! I am intrigued by the Crow Girls. My imagination runs wild to who they might be.

So glad you returned safely for your road trip...with any good luck it was as you'd hoped!

Be well,
~Lo

dr silence said...

Thanks Lorelei! I hope you enjoy the book.

The road trip was much needed, and most excellent. I'm going to try and write about it this afternoon.

We've since been back to the park to watch the robins again. I love how excited about them the girls are. I think that moments like that are so important during our formative years. That's where the magic is - in the small, passing moments of wonder.

all the best,
John