Thursday, November 13, 2008

I've been journaling, in one form or another, for over 13 years now. I was a bit of a late bloomer as far as this kind of record-keeping is concerned, starting at 27. I didn't start blogging until 2002, at which time I virtually abandoned the more traditional hand-written journaling I had been doing up until then. A recent comment by a reader of this site, L, has prompted me to reflect on the nature of public journaling for a moment.

When I made the jump from the written page to the glowing screen, I had to decide what I was comfortable sharing with the world. A lot of my paper journaling concerned itself with personal growth, and a lot of my desire for personal growth was prompted by the relationship I was in at the time I started journaling. It was a relationship that, for a number of reasons, was never really meant to be, but it was definitely an interesting experience and I learned a lot. I ended my attempts to make that relationship work when Jen came into my life, and a couple of years later, following in Jen's footsteps, started this blog.

At the beginning, the blog stayed at the surface - social commentary, strange humor, and at its worst, mere reporting of the events of my days. One of the reasons for this, of course, was that I was happy, and there wasn't any pain to reveal. Sure, there were moments of pain, such as Willow's premature birth and other health problems, and Jen's own hospital stays, but for the most part, I kept the mask on. Even as our marital problems grew, I didn't let on that there was anything wrong, and I'm not just talking about my blog posts - I didn't talk about it either. If you go back into the archives and read between the lines, noticing that the frequency and quality of the posts dipped a bit, perhaps you might, in retrospect, see the unhappiness there. I was stuck, and didn't know quite what to do. I didn't know how to fix things. At the end, I did my best, but at that point, it wasn't enough.

Back in September (or was it August?) I actually started another blog in which I dug more deeply into the core of my being than I ever have on these pages. I didn't tell anybody about it, and I'm not going to include a link now. That increased level of anonymity was liberating. The self-imposed boundaries of public writing slipped away. I kept it up for a month or so, until about the time I went public with the dissolution of our marriage on this site. That in itself was another liberating moment. It was a public airing of pain, which is something I'm not used to doing. I think it was the fact that at the same time I was writing about it, I was talking about it. My family, friends, and co-workers all offered support. New friends and new-old friends came into my life and supported me. People shared their own divorce stories with me, and listened to mine. I found that I had more friends than I thought I did.

For me, at least, this public airing of my feelings is part of the healing process. I am humbled by my experience - taken down a notch, if you will, and that has allowed me to more fully connect with those around me. Another reason I chose to put this all out there on the internet is that I've always had a tremendous amount of respect for artists, authors, and musicians who publicly voice their pain (look at Frida Kahlo, or Michael Gira, for example). Real emotions make for powerful art. True artists dig deeply. I'm inspired by that.

I hope that clarifies things for those, like L, who wonder why I do this. I don't dig as deeply here as I do in my more traditional journal (which I have also taken up writing in again), but my recent experiences have certainly broadened the scope of what I'm willing to write about in public.

We're all in this together, after all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

John,

It is nice to have a window into the impetus for this blog. I like the way you have divided yourself and pushed the parts out through different windows. In this place, I enjoy the way in which you begin with the valley, a raccoon or the warm wind and end with a bumper sticker or the quote of a long dead word nerd. Throw in the social, environmental and perspective-of-an-animal commentary and your writing brings humor, even when the situation is ripe for despair.

The heights and depths of another person's life do inspire us all to 'feel something'. Not only good for art, but also to combat the fact that everything about this U.S. culture tries hard to pull us away from ourselves, our intuition, our children, the breathing in and out of the earth...

My solution: hike the highest hill you can see, find clear spot, lie there and watch the earth turn...the day setting in front of you and the moon rising over your head. Perspective! Then one day you find yourself lying there on some dusty hill with another person who gets this stuff and 'hey, the heights are back!' Cool. Piss off depths!


~Lorelei

sorry to have been vague. I am not a blogger, therefore one letter seemed plenty risky to me. Only 25 others, after all!

dr silence said...

Thanks, Lorelei,
Again, I appreciate your kind words. Everything you say about U.S. culture is so true too. The advice you give at the end of your comment is very similar to some advice a good friend once gave me - she said that in order to gain true perspective, all you had to do is lie on top of a big hill and watch night fall, seeing the stars appear one by one. I've never really properly done this, which is in itself a commentary on how busy we've all become (or how busy I am, at least...), but it's something that's often on my mind these days.

Oh, and don't worry about being vague - I often use single letters for names, or don't mention names at all when I'm writing about people. We all have a right to not be smeared all over the internet. I'm hoping I never have cause to regret my own internet presence... So far, so good!