Saturday, July 05, 2014

Three Films

I don't get to the movies as much as I used to. I don't even watch movies at home as much as I used to, and I've got a pretty big stack of dvds that I need to watch sometime soon. A number of factors are responsible, including the internet, life, music that needs listening to, and books that need reading. That said, I've seen a few films lately that I feel are worth noting.

Today, Jeanine and I went to go see Bong Joon Ho's new film, "Snowpiercer". Yes, it's another film set in a dystopian near-future - in this case an attempt to reverse climate change literally freezes the world - but I sure do love depictions of dystopia. Tilda Swinton's character is particularly bizarre, in a good way, of course. Check out the trailer here. Bong Joon Ho's "The Host" is also worth checking out.

"Cold In July", based on a novel by the marvelous Joe R. Lansdale, is an excellent film as well. More Lansdale adaptations are in the works, with "The Bottoms" on the horizon. It's about time. Trailer here. The film features Michael C. Hall of "Dexter" fame and a great, haunting score by Jeff Grace.

Finally, Jim Jarmusch's newest film, "Only Lovers Left Alive", nearly slipped by me. I'm glad that we managed to catch it because, not only was it a great film (with Tilda Swinton again - come to think of it, John Hurt is also in both films), but the soundtrack is absolutely amazing. Trailer here.

Also of recent note is an oddball short film by David Cronenberg, called "The Nest". Watch the whole thing here (warning, breasts).

No comments: