Sunday, May 11, 2014

Spring Frenzy

Time has passed. Once again, I find that having a daytime schedule interferes with the life of the mind. Two weeks of camp have passed since I last updated this blog. Both weeks were good ones. I led a total of 41 kids up and down various trails, hopefully instilling within them a new respect for natural processes and new determination to become stewards of our planet rather than the parasites so many people appear to be. I also learned a bit more about the reservoir that I often choose as a destination on Thursday, a day when we have around 5 and a half hours to play with. Lake Ranch Reservoir was built by hand in the late 1800s, and at one point was the property of a family named Bernard. The elder Bernard accidentally killed his son (or stepson, depending on whose story I believe - the online source or what one of the park rangers told me) while hunting. Bernard, overcome with grief, later took his life on the property. I don't plan on sharing that part with the kids. Even the cabin leaders, who are usually in their mid teens, see ghosts behind every tree if given the slightest mental nudge in that direction. Elementary school students are even more susceptible to suggestion.

Here are some photos taken this week.


...And a few from last week.


The water level in the reservoir is at about 20% of capacity, not because of the drought but because seismic testing has never been done. The other local reservoirs, built much more recently, have all been seismically tested.

Our trip down south to see Black Sabbath was a success. Read about it here.

As for my trip to Yosemite, which I mentioned in the last post but didn't elaborate on. I'm ecstatic that I finally got to go there, and filled with disbelief that it took me so long to do it. It definitely lives up to its internationally renowned status. See my photo set here. As for the park being lousy with tourists, it sure was, although as is usually the case, the further up the trails one goes, the fewer fellow tourists there are. Most people stick to the valley. There was a wide range of humanity there alongside us. On the good side, our campground neighbors thoughtfully staked our tent down after it blew away during our absence. On the bad side, some sloppy excuse for humanity decided that stuffing a dirty diaper under a rock counted as throwing it away. I briefly thought about finding the person responsible and making him (or her) eat the damn thing. It was nice to hang out and relax with my co-workers too. We'll have to do something like this again.

Willow is going to be at camp this coming week. She's excited, but oddly enough worried about being homesick. Not only will I be there, but she knows the majority of the staff. She's funny sometimes.

No comments: