Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Bats and Birds

It's well into Spring, and the days dawn with an onslaught of birdsong. This morning, as I was outside listening, bats circled my head as they prepared to call it a night. It's weird hearing the morning birds while being surrounded by bats. In amongst all of the bird sounds was the amorous gobbling of an excited turkey. I wandered over to the edge of camp in an attempt to spot him, but saw a small rabbit instead.



It wasn't until later that I saw him in all of his glory, doing his best to impress a female who shut him down pretty quickly by nonchalantly wandering off. I almost felt bad for him as he strutted around in all of his finery with his strangely ineffective tail feathers fanned out. Maybe his gobbling was off-key or something.

Earlier, the toad who lives out by the parking lot was hanging out on the walkway, waiting for unwary insects. World's cutest ambush predator.



Behind me, a box containing a chicken coop awaits our attention.

Currently listening to: Dark Dark Dark "What I Needed"

No comments: