Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The Internet Makes You Stupid

As I was driving to work tonight, I found myself musing about the internet, and how it seems to create its own reality - a reality that can eclipse the world around us by narrowing and distorting it. At my worst moments, I can feel the claws of this virtual world scraping at my psyche, lulling me into a strange sort of complacency. I was listening to Utah Phillips at the time, which always makes me long for the simple pleasure of sitting around a campfire and sharing stories. That's the best antidote for internetitis - unplugging and backing away. That said, as with everything we use, there is a right way and a wrong way to use the internet. Knowing and seeing the difference is the trick.

Moments after having these thoughts, I noticed the license plate holder on the car in front of me. It read, "the internet makes you stupid". Amen to that.

Currently listening to: Felicia Atkinson "Les Bois Rouges"

3 comments:

Prettylittlecrow said...

And of course there's the irony of going ONTO the internet...in order to comment negatively about how much better the world is WITHOUT the internet.

But here I am... I've become such an old granny, ninny-aunt in my attitudes toward technology.

Also, you have been busy! Congratulations on the new home, impending wedding and urban farming dreams. Good things are happening for you. That is lovely!

~L .

dr silence said...

Well, I guess that griping about the internet while on the internet helps ensure that I'm not preaching to the converted. Ha.

That said, as one ninny-aunt to another, I'm glad that you're still at least occasionally online too. I popped over to your blog and was happy to see a little flurry of new posts! Great photos!

I hope all is well with you. As always, thanks for your words.

John

Prettylittlecrow said...

Indeed, I am well. Thank you! And much happier than would looking in on PLC would imply.

Clearly still spotty on the purpose of a blog...and always amazed (embarrassed?) when one of the 7 or so (who can view it) respond. I have to look up my password more often than not when logging in!

Do love looking in on you, though. Stay well and happy.

I love that you are a ninny-aunt too!

~L.