Wednesday, August 15, 2012

That Autumn Feeling

For the first time this summer, I got a whiff of Autumn. It was probably due to the clouds this morning, which capped the valley with a pleasing grayness, but it might also be because I was thinking about it being the last week of summer camp this year. For those of us who have jobs tied to the school year, autumn will always be the time of year when it's time to stop playing around and get back to work. It's actually an invigorating feeling, although in reality my plans often outstrip my progress. This year it might be different though. Having a new home and preparing to get married puts a whole new spin on things.

First, there are still two final days of summer camp. Two final days of playing around, followed by a couple weeks off, although "off" just means I don't have to go to work. There is a lot to be done at home, not the least of which is planning our upcoming wedding. I also plan to finally put my dad's final taxes to rest, which means gathering bunches of paperwork and dumping it all on some unsuspecting accountant. Accountants love that stuff though. More power to them. I have at least two "to do" lists as well. Maybe I should consolidate them and start doing stuff. I'm sure that the weeks off will rip by like monkeys on fire.

Week 9 of summer camp has been good so far. The kids are great, and the counselors are mainly of the returning "superstar" variety. There is a girl in my group who is the daughter of an old friend of Matt's, and I only figured out the connection due to her uncommon name and the fact that the only other girl I'd met with that name was a baby 10 years ago. Sure enough, they turned out to be one and the same.

Currently listening to: Natural Snow Buildings "Daughter of Darkness"

No comments: