Monday, September 19, 2011

Before the Heat of the Day



Even before many of the local birds are awake, The Los Gatos Creek Trail is full of activity in the morning. It's mostly joggers, although there are clusters of elderly walkers, and a few bikers thrown into the mix as well. It amuses me to watch people (usually Los Gatos moms, pushing jogging strollers ahead of them) talking on the phone as they fly by. Despite being burdened with a stroller, they still manage to find the time to gesture as they talk, which is an interesting little demonstration of one of the reasons I hate phones. Human communication has always been partially visual. I'll have to admit, I'm pretty visually oriented, so maybe this kind of thing bothers me more than most people, but I'm sure there are many other people who dislike talking to invisible people as much as I do. It is definitely amusing to watch people subconsciously gesture to their electronically removed conversational partners though, especially when gesturing is kind of an inconvenience because they're simultaneously pushing a stroller (or riding a bike, or...).

As for the birds, they were just waking up. A Great Blue Heron balanced near the creek, and most of the ducks still had their heads tucked warmly under their wings. Further along, I finally discovered the veritable forest of spiders that Jeanine had told me about. The reeds and trees were thick with the webs of Garden spiders. Nearby, members of the well-established invasive population of Red-Eared Sliders slid into the still water at my approach. We did once come across a native Western Pond Turtle nearby, but it seemed to be blind. Today, the water belonged to the Sliders and waterfowl.

I've now walked 120 miles this month.

Currently listening to: Tor Lundvall "Empty City"

No comments: