Monday, January 03, 2011

One more day of vacation remains after today, and then I go back to work. I'm hoping that my recent energy doesn't get sucked away again by the necessity of splitting my sleep schedule.

I spent my first money of the year today, ironically enough on a free photo book, which came with my annual renewal of my Flickr account. I picked my favorite photos of last year from my Flickr stream, and there were enough of them to make my book a few pages too long for the "free" offer, so I paid the few extra dollars, plus some money for shipping. I mention this because after nearly a year of not watching my budget, I'm going to be paying more attention to where my money goes.

Speaking of buying things, I've been reading more about the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, and have been reawakened to the evils of plastic, especially plastic of the throw-away variety. I also recently saw a great short film by Ramin Bahrani called "Plastic Bag", brilliantly narrated by Werner Herzog. You can watch it, and other films in the Futurestates series here. I haven't watched the other films yet, but it's on my list of things to do. I've long been converted to the cause of cutting down on excess plastic (and other materials) by consuming less of them, but it's always good to keep learning more about the continued dangers of careless living.

Currently listening to: Bohren & der Club of Gore "Sunset Mission"

1 comment:

Prettylittlecrow said...

Hi there...catching up on your posts and loving these links- Great Pacific Garbage Patch and especially Futurestates! I've not heard of that before. It makes me think of the Sapling Foundation (and specifically the TED talks) but from a speculative, fictional standpoint, of course, with the bonding position that visionary, inspired ideas are the greatest force for needed change in the world.

I'm waiting to see if Futurestates pieces are too demise-promising for me, though. (I think you called it pessimistic. How succinct! Hee!) If I do share your sociological interest in the human experience as we destroy our planet, these days I do it while hyperventilating and peeking through one mostly-closed eye. It's the death that makes me shut the book. I can't bear the loss of life. When I do read those books I end up 'sleeping' in one of my children's beds, uncomfortable and wide-eyed, clinging to their sweaty little hands. Fatalism was so much more fun before children!

I want to write a post-apocalyptic science fiction novel that rids our earth of the technological complications and the sources of consumption we've created...without the warfare and rebuilding. Instead, my story would be heavy on the return to a simple life of family farming, music on the porch, bread-baking, reading by the fire....not very scifi, right?

Of course, if everyone is going to live in my scenario we are going to need to reduce our population. I take the Voluntary Human Extinction Movement to be social commentary by satire, kind of like the tongue-in-cheek Flying Spaghetti Monster. I love the clever, contrarian nature of ideas like these, but also the more accessible ideas that compel everyday people to think about their personal impact and to make changes. Where population is concerned, there's the Global Population Speak Out in February. Not as sassy and fun as the VHEMT, but good-stuff, still.

Anyway, I enjoyed the writing. Clearly there's always a lot to think about with you!
~L