Friday, August 13, 2010

We're back from a quick roadtrip down to Anaheim, where Willow and I, along with Jeanine and her daughter Eva, spent a total of 27 hours inside the boundaries of Disneyland and the new(er) California Adventure park next door. Willow turns into a pumpkin at around 11:00 PM, I've discovered, but can be perked up by additional roller coaster riding, fireworks, or light shows of other kinds. We had a fine time hurtling around the parks, and I got to relive my childhood to a certain extent. There is just no beating the nostalgic smell of rides like Pirates of the Caribbean, and even the updating of said ride (to tie in with the movie franchise) proved to be subtle enough to leave its nostalgic power intact. Willow's only real dislikes were the Indiana Jones ride (too "freaky") and Splash Mountain. The latter might have been a better experience for her if we'd done it earlier in the day before she got tired out. As it was, the photo (taken as the boat plummets into the "briar patch" at the end) showed her with a look of abject terror on her face - a fact that somewhat embarrassed her as well. Of course, she loved Space Mountain, which is a high-speed roller coaster ride through a darkened building. Er, I mean space, of course. There is sometimes no telling what will disturb the young.

On the way back, we beach hopped and stopped at the Madonna Inn which, among other things, features a waterfall urinal in the men's bathroom. You can even buy a postcard of it, and I did, although at the moment I'm not sure where it is. Taking Highway 101 back north took longer than our trip down on I-5, but the scenery and beaches made it a worthwhile detour. The crescent moon seemed to be keeping pace with us off to the west, dragging its lower point along the black ridges of the coast range before slowly being swallowed by shadows. The sky turned orange before darkening to night, and by the time we got back into the Bay Area, it was nearly 11:00 and Willow was in dreamland.

We've even managed to make it to Santa Cruz and to the Winchester Mystery House this week, although the latter trip made Willow concerned about ghosts for some reason.

Speaking of ghosts, my mom's house is now virtually cleaned out. There is one small pile of belongings awaiting a final storage run, and for some reason, the broken microwave oven. The people my dad hired to take everything away were amazingly thorough, taking the washer and dryer, the refrigerator, and even some kitchen drawers and medicine cabinet shelves, but not the damn microwave. I wonder why they left that.

It is beyond strange to see the house empty, devoid of all the things that made it a home. There are still traces here and there, of course - the things I carved into walls, and the stickers on my old closet door, plus other tiny bits of personal detritus too small to amount to anything.

The rest is just dust and damage.

2 comments:

Prettylittlecrow said...

"Dust and damage" are wonderfully chosen words! I wanted to come here to thank you for your kindness and camaraderie for the time I kept the blog. I have once again returned all that to the wind with one press of the delete button...thinking that it has served the purpose of its time.

This time, however, I read the entire page from start to its dwindling end, including comments. I was taken aback by how significant my conversations with you had been and it seemed to require a show of gratitude. You offered up some lovely encouragement and an uncanny same-mindedness. So thank you. Thank you for your sweetness. It was fun to go from fairly broken to pretty damn happy alongside you. I will carry-on cheering for you and all that is good in your life. You are lovely! Lo

dr silence said...

Hi Lorelei,

First, I'm sad to see that your blog is gone. I hadn't checked it much over the Summer, and when I did I noticed that you hadn't posted in awhile. I'm glad that it served its purpose for you though, and will gladly read if you ever start posting again. Always glad to read your comments here too!

I too must thank you for the same reasons you thank me. Your comments often had healing power for me during tough times. Here's to continued happiness all around!

John