Thursday, November 02, 2006

I used to keep a running log of animals I'd seen while delivering newspapers. It's kind of funny that now that I'm working up in the woods I no longer do that. I think I'll start reporting in on this once a week or so. Here's what we've seen in field class this week:

Invertebrates:
Jerusalem Crickets - several of them
Banana Slug - 7 or 8 of 'em
One big Harvestman
Clusters of Ladybugs
Millipede
Scorpion
Black Widow
Scuds
Crayfish - 2 or 3 of them

Amphibians:
Pacific Giant Salamander larvae - 2 or 3 of them
Ensatina
Slender Salamander - out walking around in the rain
California Newts - 99 of them! During one class!
Bullfrog tadpoles

Reptiles:
Western Fence Lizard - 4 or 5 of them
Northern Alligator Lizard
Garter snake - one little baby

Birds:
Ravens
Scrub Jays
Juncos
Crows
Lots of other little brownish birds moving too quickly to identify

Mammals:
Deer
+ rabbit and raccoon scat

No comments: